The other day I shared this quote from General Douglas MacArthur.
Rules are mostly made to be broken and are too often for the lazy to hide behind.
Focus on the second half of that.
We often hide behind rules because it’s more convenient than doing the right thing or we fear “bending” the rule will set a “dangerous precedent”.
(Reason numero uno why Your’s Bruly hates unions, committees and authority in general.)
Rules should be a means to an end, not the end.
When should you be breaking the rules? When the rules cause a negative impact on you, your customers or the people you lead.
The project I’m most proud of is my book Stadium Status. Why? Because I broke just about every rule when I wrote it.
- It was rejected by multiple publishers and I was told “There’s no audience for a book that’s the intersection of country music, sports and business.”
- I was also told by my publisher that the format of it (3 sections in each chapter–Them, Bru and You) wouldn’t resonate with readers. The same publisher tried to tell me who my audience was…
- The idiot publicist they hired also told me not to make appearances on ESPN Radio discussing the book because that wasn’t my audience. (That’s so galactically stupid it’s another whole article.)
So what did I do?
- I wrote a book that was the intersection of country music, sports and business.
- I of course kept that 3 section chapter format. And had multiple authors who bought the book tell me they liked it so much and found it so digestible they’re doing their next book the same way.
- I promoted the $h!t out of it via appearances on ESPN Radio and just to spite the publicist doubled down by promoting it on other sports talk radio networks.
It became an Amazon best-seller.
After my publisher breached our contract I threatened to sue them and negotiated getting my rights back because they were so inept and clueless.
There was one (and only one) downside to that. Currently if you buy the book on Amazon or through a retailer I don’t receive any royalties, not a penny. BUT… if you buy it via my website, you’ll be supporting me directly.
Why would you want to buy it?
Because it contains dozens of stories, examples and strategies about how BREAKING THE RULES leads to #StadiumStatus.
As media member Lee Caraher (whose podcast the buffoon publicist suggest I not appear on) said about the book:
Here it is – the book entrepreneurs, leaders, solopreneurs, managers need to read to understand how to take your business from where it is to Stadium Status – a thriving business with raving fans with momentum for the future. Brubaker’s step by step process is built on actual experience in achieving his own stadium status as well as the personal stories of athletes and entertainers you’ve heard of that use the same principles. Buy. Read. Apply. The End.
Buy, read, apply. The end.
Here’s where you can do that: